The Samsara Solution can be connected to a Pro-Vision Ranger DVR System using an Analog Camera Connector to allow a single HD stream containing some or all of the cameras recorded by the Ranger DVR. The Ranger DVR system supports connection of up to 10 cameras for recording in HD locally on the DVR unit. The Ranger DVR can be configured to output all recording cameras or a selected number of cameras on its HDMI output in a split-screen configuration. The DVR then utilizes an HDMI to AHD Adapter to send the split screen view to the Samsara Analog Camera Connector for recording and viewing in the Samsara Cloud for easy review of driving related incidents while allowing the full HD video to be retrieved manually from the DVR at any time.
PRO-VISION System Components:
- DVR Unit (w/Locking Enclosure)
- SD Card
- DVR Power Cable
- DVR Camera Interface Cables (Qty. 4)
- GPS Antenna
- Event Marker Button
- GPS/Trigger Cable
- HDMI to AHD Adapter (w/HDMI Cable)
- Wi-Fi Antenna
- Camera(s) (at least one)
See these Ranger DVR knowledge articles for more information about the DVR installation, connection, and configuration. View this article for more information about the AHD Side Camera features and installation. View this article for more information about the AHD Rear Camera features and installation. View this article for more information about the 7" 3 Channel Monitor installation and setting adjustments.
- Vehicle Gateway
- Gateway Power Harness (OBDII or CAN)
- Dash Camera
- AHD Camera Connector
See this Samsara Products knowledge article for more information about the products, configuration, and installation.
After installation, a number of items should be configured for optimal system performance, additional details for each of these items can be found at the bottom of this article:
- DVR View Mode Setup: The DVR is configured to show 10 cameras on the output, if using less than 10 cameras, this should be changed.
- DVR Image Mirroring: If rear facing cameras such as backup or blind spot cameras are used, these cameras will appear mirrored (backwards) when watching the recorded video unless this setting is changed.
- Samsara Interface Setup: Each unit needs to be configured to allow the use of the AHD camera connector.
DVR View Mode Setup:
After the system is installed, follow the DVR instructions to connect to it for configuration, then go to Settings > Display. Click on “Camera View(s) Displayed on Monitor” and then select the desired camera(s) to be recorded in the Samsara interface. When done, click “Apply” at the bottom of the page.
DVR Image Mirroring:
When viewing an image from rear-facing cameras on a monitor, it is necessary to have that image mirrored for proper viewing by the driver. The rear-facing camera images will look mirrored within the Samsara interface unless they are flipped back within the DVR settings. Follow the DVR instructions to connect to it for configuration (see above link), then go to Settings > Camera. Click on the desired camera number and then change the “Flip Horizontally” option to “Enabled” and then click “Apply” at the bottom of the page. Repeat this for each rear-facing camera.
Samsara Interface Setup:
If a Samsara AHD Camera Connector is used on a vehicle, it must be set up within the Samsara Settings for that vehicle before video features can occur.
The “Analog Camera Setup” attribute must be added to each vehicle that is using a camera connector.
- Go to the home page, click on the desired vehicle from the list, then click on the "..." and choose "Settings".
- On the settings page for the vehicle, locate the "Tags and Attributes" section and then click "+ Add Attribute". In the Attribute Name box, click on the drop-down menu and choose “Analog Camera Setup”. In the Attribute Value box, click on the drop-down menu and choose “Ignition On” or “Reverse Only” depending on the desired camera operation.
Systems using a DVR should be set to “Ignition On” (to reflect the correct system configuration). The “Reverse Only” option should only be selected for single-camera rear vision systems. If you are unsure which to choose, it is recommended to choose “Ignition On” to record the camera whenever the vehicle ignition is on.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the settings window and click “Save” to complete the setup.
- Return to the settings page and click the "Take Picture" button next to “Check Dash Cam Installation” to see images captured from the camera(s) and ensure they are working correctly. The vehicle ignition must be on for this to function.
- Repeat steps 1-4 for each vehicle in the fleet.
Samsara Recorded View
Variable depending on the location and quantity of cameras connected.
Note: Images for rear-facing cameras must be mirrored in the DVR settings for proper view in the Samsara interface.
Full-Screen View on Display
If a display/monitor is used and it is desired to view a camera full screen on the display, a separate Video Splitter Cable must be purchased and used for each camera and connected to an open input on the display unit.
Video Splitter Cable (PD-1456/8050018)
This cable takes a single input from a camera and splits the output between two (2) devices. It is often used so a camera can record to a DVR while also being viewed on a monitor, but it can also be used to view a camera on two (2) monitors. The DVR output supplies the power to camera.
HDMI to AHD Adapter
This adapter is used to convert the HD output (HDMI) of the DVR to AHD so it can be connected to the Samsara System for HD recording. If this adapter is not used, the DVR's SD output can be connected to the Samsara System for SD recording only.